Chunky walnut bread
Skill level: Easy peasy
Subtly nutty for real intrigue. Tastes delicious with cheese and chutney.
- 400g (14oz) very strong wholemeal flour
- 250g (9oz) very strong white flour
- 100g (31/2oz) walnut pieces, chopped and toasted
- 2tbsp unrefined light Muscovado sugar
- 11/2tsp salt
- 7g sachet easy bake yeast
- 3tbsp walnut, sunflower or olive oil
- 450ml (3/4pt) warm water
- Use 350g (12oz) wholemeal flour
- 150g (5oz) white flour
- 1tsp yeast
- 350ml (12floz) warm water
- Put the wholemeal flour into a large bowl with the white flour. Add the walnut pieces, muscovado sugar and salt.
- Sprinkle over the yeast. Pour in the oil and warm water.
- Mix together with your hands until the mixture combines to make a rough dough ball.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and stretch and knead the dough for 10 mins until smooth and elastic.
- Shape into an oval and put on to a greased baking tray. Use a sharp knife to score a few diagonal lines on tops of the loaf. Cover loosely with cling film. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size. (This will take about 30-40 mins.)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Remove cling film from bread and reduce the oven temperature to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Bake the bread for 35 mins until golden. To test to see if the loaf is ready, upturn and tap the base ? it should sound hollow.
- Put all the ingredients into the bread maker bucket following the order and method specified in the manual.
- Fit the bucket into the bread maker and set to the basic programme with a light crust. Press start.