Country grain bread
Skill level: Easy peasy
A wholesome yet light bread. The malted flavoured flour tastes great and the generous sprinkling of mixed seeds guarantees it's bursting with added nutrients.
- 650g (1lb 7oz) country grain strong brown bread flour with malted wheatgrain1tsp salt
- 1tsp unrefined light Muscovado sugar
- 2tbsp each of poppy, sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds
- 25g (1oz) butter, chopped
- 7g sachet easy bake yeast
- 450ml (3/4pt) warm water
- Breadmaker method
- Adjust the above ingredients in the following way;
- Use 500g (1lb 2oz) country grain strong brown bread flour with malted wheatgrain
- 1tsp easy bake yeast
- 350ml (12floz) warm water
- Put the country grain strong brown bread flour into a large bowl. Add the salt, Muscovado sugar, 1 tbsp each of poppy, sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds. Add the butter and rub into the flour to combine.
- Sprinkle over the easy bake yeast. Pour in the warm water.
- Mix together with your hands until the mixture combines to make a rough dough ball.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and stretch and knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Shape into a round and sprinkle over the reserved 1tbsp of the poppy, sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds. Put on to a greased baking tray. Use a sharp knife to score a cross in the centre of the loaf. Cover loosely with cling film. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size. (This will take about 30-40 mins.)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Remove cling film from bread and reduce the oven temperature to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Bake the bread for 35 mins until golden. To test to see if the loaf is ready, upturn and tap the base - it should sound hollow.
- Put all the ingredients into the bread maker bucket following the order and method specified in the manual.
- Fit the bucket into the bread maker and set to the basic programme with a light crust. Press start.