Gorgeous fruity bread that can be made from start to finish in just over an hour...
- 350g (12oz) Very Strong White Bread FlourLarge pinch of salt
- 7g sachet Easy Bake Yeast
- 25g (1oz) Golden Caster sugar
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter
- 275ml (9fl oz) warm water
For the filling:
- 400g (14oz) plums
- 75g (3oz) dried sour cherries
- 75g (3oz) Light Muscovado sugar
- 2tsp ground mixed spice
- 3tbsp milk for brushing
- 3tbsp Golden Icing sugar, for dusting
- Put the flour into a large bowl with the salt, Easy Bake Yeast and Golden Caster sugar. Melt 25g (1oz) butter in a small pan or in the microwave on High for 30 seconds.
- Pour the melted butter and warm water into the flour and yeast, mix together to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Put into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, quarter and slice the plums, removing the stone, mix together with the plums, soured dried cherries, Light Muscovado sugar and ground mixed spice.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured piece of greaseproof paper, knead for 1 minute then roll out into a 33cm (13inch) square. Sprinkle over the sugar coated fruit and dot with small knobs of the remaining butter. Lift the base of the paper to help roll up the dough, Swiss-roll style to enclose the filling. Pinch the ends together to seal and put onto a baking sheet with edge underneath.
- Cover lightly with greased cling film and leave it to prove in a warm place for 20 minutes to rise. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/fan 200ºC/ gas mark 7. Brush with milk to glaze and bake, bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven setting to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/gas mark 4 and bake for 25 more minutes until golden brown. Dust with sieved icing sugar. Serve warm or cold, sliced.