Chicken kebabs on jewelled rice
Costs: Cheap as chips
The whole family will love these delicious chicken skewers served with tasty flavoured rice.
- Kebabs550g (1.75lb) chicken breast, skin removed and cubed1 small red pepper, seeds removed and cut into pieces
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and cut into pieces
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 25g (1oz) Buttery spread
- 350g (12oz) long grain rice
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley and/or celery leaves
- Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice or wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl, stir in the chicken, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto 8 skewers with alternate pieces of red and green peppers and onion.
- Melt 15g (1/2oz) buttery spread and use to brush the kebabs before cooking under the grill for 12-15 minutes, turning frequently until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet directions and drain.
- Heat the remaining buttery spread in a saucepan, add the red onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown. Add the cooked rice together with the raisins and stir to heat through.
- Mix in the chopped parsley or celery leaves into the rice mixture and add a little lemon juice to taste.
- Serve the kebabs on a bed of rice.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 551(kcal)
- Fat 6.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.