Lamb and barley risotto
A simple-to-prepare alternative to a traditional rice risotto, this meat-packed risotto is a great winter warmer
- 450g (1lb) lean boneless shoulder of lamb or mutton, cut into 5cm (2inch) cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 15ml (1tbsp) ground cumin
- 10ml (2tsp) ground turmeric
- 15ml (1tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g (7oz) pearl barley
- 200ml (7floz) reduced fat coconut milk
- 850ml good, hot vegetable stock
- 100g (4oz) green peas
- Large bunch freshly chopped mint
- Place the lamb in a large bowl, season and coat in the spices.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the lamb for 4-5 minutes until brown. Transfer to a 1.7l (3pint) casserole dish.
- Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft but not brown. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the pearl barley, coconut milk and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 55 minutes, stirring once.
- Add the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.