Duck and orange spiced leek
A classic duck and orange flavour combination served in an original way
- 4 Duck breasts with skin on
- 450g Leeks, trimmed and sliced into 2.5cm rounds
- 450g Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
- 2tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2.5cm fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 Oranges, grated zest and juice
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 Whole cloves
- Sprinkling ground sea salt and black pepper
- Pierce duck skin and pan fry skin side down for 5-8 minutes until the fat starts to run out. Oven cook (220°C (200°C Fan)) for 15 minutes skin side up.
- Prepare the puree. Simmer the sweet potato for 15 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add the leeks and cook for a further 5 ? 8 minutes until they are both soft. Drain and mash together to give a rough puree.
- Heat the olive oil in a solid based saucepan and fry the ginger, orange zest, garlic and cloves together for 1-2 minutes without browning. Add the orange juice and the mashed leek and sweet potato mixture and stir to combine.
- Cut duck breasts into thin slices and fan out onto a bed of the leek puree. Drizzle with the duck cooking juices. Garnish with watercress and serve.