Leek and pear tart
This leek and pear tart is the perfect solution for when you can't choose between a dessert and a cheese course. The tart offers a complementing combination of sweet and savoury ingredients and is the ideal way to finish a meal. You will only need six ingredients, including two ripe pears and two medium size leeks. It’s important that you choose ripe pears for the best taste, and an individual round of full-flavoured Welsh Goats Cheese. To make the cooking process quicker, we suggest you use puff pastry that you can buy from the shop, but you can also make your own using our easy recipe. This leek and pear tart recipe is very quick to make – it only takes you 20mins in the kitchen to prepare this scrumptious dish. Before you pop the tart in the oven, sprinkle some nutmeg and pepper over it for a hint of spice. This delicious tart will be ready after just 25mins in the oven, so that means you need less than hour to make this dessert dish. Enjoy at the end of a special meal with friends or family and please both sweet-tooths and salty snackers.
- 250g/9oz chilled puff pastry
- 2 medium size leeks, trimmed, washed and finely shredded
- 50g/2oz butter
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 ripe pears
- 75g/3oz goats' cheese
- Sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg and ground cinnamon
- Roll out pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin and cut into a 20cm/8in round using a plate as a template. Rest on a baking sheet.
- Gently sweat the shredded leeks in the butter for 2 -3 minutes to soften but not brown. Season with cinnamon and top pastry round leaving a 1cm clear rim.
- Peel the pears, quarter, core and slice and place on top of the leeks. Dot with cubes of goats' cheese and sprinkle with nutmeg and pepper.
- Oven bake at 220°C/200°C Fan/425°F/Gas Mark 7 until the pastry has risen and the cheese is bubbling. Serve while warm.
Why not also try our classic pear tart recipe?