Tomato & mozzarella pasta bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This pasta bake is guaranteed to be a hit with children and a great way of getting some veg into them
- 300g (11oz) penne pasta
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 400g can good-quality chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 150ml (1/4pt) vegetable stock
- 2tsp dried mixed herbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 125g (4 1/2oz) mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Salad, crusty wholegrain bread
You can add loads of other ingredients to this dish too, depending on what your family like. Try chicken and mushrooms, tuna and sweetcorn or turkey and broccoli
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Cook the penne according to the pack instructions, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 mins, until the onion has softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, stock and herbs and season with black pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked penne to the tomato sauce, mix together then transfer to an oven-proof dish. Top with the sliced mozzarella and bake in the oven for 10 mins until the cheese has melted.
- Serve the pasta bake with salad and crusty wholegrain bread.