Healthy cottage pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a great way of getting your family to eat more veg using seasonal ingredients. It's also really filling comfort food.
- 500g (18oz) extra-lean steak mince
- 400ml (14fl oz) beef or vegetable stock
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- Salt and pepper
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 500g (18oz) potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 400g (14oz) root vegetables (eg, celeriac, carrot, turnip,
- parsnip), peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2tbsp reduced-fat crème fraîche or olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7.
- Brown the mince in a non-stick frying pan and drain off any fat. Add the stock and tomato purée and season. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30-40 mins, adding a little extra stock if necessary.
- Mix the cornflour with 2tbsp water to form a smooth paste, then add to the mince and stir until thickened. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish.
- While the mince is simmering, boil the potatoes and root veg for around 20 mins, until tender. Drain and mash with the crème fraîche or olive oil.
- Pile the mash on top of the mince and cook in the oven for 20 mins, until the top is crisp and golden. Serve with red cabbage and green beans.
Fancy making a traditional cottage pie? Try our classic cottage pie recipe