Leek and smoked trout mousseline
Individual smoked trout and leek mousse delicately wrapped in a pretty parcel.
- 2 medium leeks
- 225g/8oz smoked trout
- 225g/8oz crème fraiche
- 1 sachet gelatine powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 lime, grated zest and juice of
- Sprinkling ground sea salt and black pepper
- Lime slices for garnish
- Trim leeks and halve lengthwise. Pull away sufficient strips of leek to line the ramekin dishes. Set aside remaining leek for filling.
- Place leek strips in a colander over boiling water for 2-3 minutes to soften. Rinse under cold water.
- Line ramekin dishes with alternate strips of smoked trout and leek leaving sufficient to fold back over filling.
- Prepare filling. Place remaining leek in a food processor and chop until fine. Gently sauté the leek in the olive oil for 5 minutes to soften but not brown.
- Finely chop the remaining smoked trout and parsley and combine with the leek, lime zest and juice and seasonings. Stir in the crème fraiche.
- Place 2tbsp of cold water into a small cup and sprinkle gelatine over. Microwave briefly for 5 seconds to dissolve the gelatine to a clear liquid. Stir into the leek mixture.
- Whisk egg whites with an electric mixer until with the bowl can be inverted without losing the filling. Gently fold egg white into the leek mixture using a metal spoon. Spoon filling into lined ramekin dishes and fold back leek and smoked trout over the filling.
- Chill for at least 2 hours until the filling has set. Gently turn out onto individual plates and garnish with lime and parsley.