This gorgeous, real homemade chocolate custard is just like Granny used to make. Serve this chocolate custard once and it will be a firm family favourite. This chocolate custard recipe is easy to make and makes the perfect addition to any pudding, especially large sharing desserts for your family. This recipe makes chocolate custard easy and fast so that you never have to use custard from a packet again!
- 450ml (3/4pt creamy milk
- 3tbsp cocoa powder
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 2 large free range egg yolks
- 18cm soufflé dish or deep baking dish, greased, and a roasting tin
- Heat all but 2 tbsp of the milk in a medium-sized non-stick pan.
- Sift the cocoa, sugar and cornflour into a heatproof bowl.
- Add the yolks and reserved milk then stir to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Stir in the hot milk then pour the mixture back into the pan and stir gently over a low heat until the custard thickens.
- Don't let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble.
- Pour into a jug and serve hot with the pudding.
Recipe from Divine Heavenly Chocolate Recipes with a Heart, by Linda Collister. For more information on the book and Divine Fairtrade chocolate, visit divinechocolate.com
Photography by Lisa Barber: Lisabarber.co.uk