Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This chocolate brownie recipe makes rich, fudgey brownies that will come out perfectly every time. Chocolate brownies are meant to be gooey in the middle and this simple brownie recipe shows you exactly when it's time to take the brownies out of the oven. These chocolate brownies are made with delicious dark chocolate for a really chocolatey result. The trick is to take them out of the oven when they are firm but fudgey, as the brownies will continue to cook after they've come out of the oven. Don't be tempted to leave them in for longer, as you'll love that squidgy consistency that makes brownies just perfect. This easy recipe for plain brownies is so simple, with just store cupboard ingredients, and you can make it as a special weekend treat or even as pudding, served with vanilla ice cream. These easy chocolate brownies are ready in just 30 minutes, so you won’t have to wait that long to taste our best brownie recipe! The kids will go nuts for these chocolate brownies and you can even get their help when making them for scratch. This chocolate brownie recipe makes a batch of 24 brownies, so it’s perfect if you want to make them for a little family gathering or if you’re having friends round – they’ll love you for it!
These brownies are delicious eaten warm with ice cream.
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100g unsalted butter, very soft
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 large free range eggs, beaten to mix
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 60g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 15cm square brownie tin or baking tin greased and base-lined
- Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Break up the dark chocolate. Put into a heatproof bowl and melt gently in a pan over simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the base of the bowl. Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool until needed.
- Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and beat until fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Spoon the cooled melted chocolate onto the mixture then mix in thoroughly. Sift the flour and cocoa powder onto the mixture and gently stir in.
- When completely combined, spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
- Bake in the heated oven for about 20 mins until the chocolate brownies are firm to the touch but still a bit fudgy. The chocolate will continue to cook slightly for a few mins after coming out of the oven.
- Remove the tin from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Leave the chocolate brownies to cool completely before cutting into pieces. Store the brownies in an airtight container and eat within 4 days.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.