Chicken and cashew nut stir-fry
Don't go to the Chinese take-away – make this chicken and cashew nut stir fry at home instead and save some money as well as pounds! This recipe can be ready in under half an hour, which makes it the perfect speedy supper. It's healthy, inexpensive and feeds four, which makes it the perfect meal to feed your family! You can serve this stir-fry with either rice or noodles that are filling but good for you, and this is a great way to get your kids to eat some more vegetables. It's colourful and full of flavour, and you can add whatever fresh veg you've got at home. Feel free to add tenderstem broccoli, or even swapping out the cashews for peanuts. Make sure you use the roast kind and not salted, as they will be too full on for this recipe.
- 15ml (1tbsp) oil
- 50g (2oz) cashew nuts
- 350g (12oz) chicken strips
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 75g (3oz) mangetout, thinly sliced
- 60ml (4tbsp) light soy sauce
- 30ml (2tbsp) rice wine vinegar
- 15ml (1tbsp) tomato ketchup
- 5ml (1tsp) cornflour
- Heat the oil in a wok until almost smoking. Add the cashew nuts and stir-fry for a few seconds until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the chicken strips to the pan and stir-fry over a medium-high heat for 4-5 mins until no longer pink, then stir in the sliced peppers and mangetout. Stir-fry for a further 2-3 mins.
- Blend the light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, tomato ketchup and cornflour. Add to the pan with the cashew nuts.
- Stir-fry over a high heat for 1-2 mins until the sauce has thickened and glazed the chicken and vegetables. Serve with rice or noodles