Cooking time:including setting time
Using macaroons instead of cake gives this trifle an especially pleasing texture and taste. Use small custard cups or glasses
- 1 packet banana flavoured blancmange50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 200ml (8fl oz) milk
- 248ml (1/2 pint) whipping cream
- 100g (0.4pt) dark chocolate
- 40ml (8tsp) milk
- 2 medium bananas
- 1.25ml (1/4tsp) vanilla essence
- 100g (3.5) almond macaroons, roughly crushed
- 6-8 Flakes
- Make in 6-8 trifle style glasses (depending on size) or a 850ml (11/2 pint) trifle dish
- Make up the blancmange as instructed on the packet, using the sugar and reduced quantity of milk as given in the recipe.
- Beat until smooth and then slowly beat in the cream. Keep covered while cooling.
- When cold, whisk thoroughly until thick; divide into two. Melt the chocolate then cool slightly.
- Slice one banana and fold into half the custard with the vanilla essence; add the chocolate to the remaining custard with the milk.
- Divide the creamy banana mixture between the dishes or place in the base of a larger bowl. Sprinkle over nearly all the crushed macaroons. Reserve some slices of banana for the decoration, divide the remainder between the glasses then top with the chocolate mixture.
- Decorate with a Flake in each glass or round the edge of the larger bowl, a sprinkling of macaroon and banana slices. Serve cold.