Apple and berry crumble cake
Cooking time:(may need 10 mins extra cooking)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our apple and berry crumble cake recipe is so easy. It's a luxuriously moist and fruity apple crumble cake that's delicious served hot or cold! This crumble cake brings two of our favourite sweet treats together; cake and crumble. This delicious cake is perfect for dessert served with fresh cream. This berry crumble cake is packed with fruit underneath the buttery crumble including apples, blackberries and blueberries. It will take around 1hr and 5 mins to make and bake this mouth-watering crumble cake but it's well worth the wait.
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 10ml (2tsp) ground cinnamon
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 large apples, peeled cored and diced
- 150g (5oz) blueberries
- 150g (5oz) blackberries
- 45ml (3tbsp) demerara sugar
- 75g (3oz) mixed chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Grease a 20cm x 24cm (8in x 91/2in) cake tin and line with baking parchment, allowing the edges of the parchment to hang over the side.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Remove 175g (6oz) of the crumble mixture to another bowl and set aside.
- Stir the caster sugar and beaten eggs into the larger amount of crumble to make
- a soft and slightly sticky dough. Press evenly into the base of the cake tin using floured hands. Scatter over the diced apple and berries.
- Stir the demerara sugar and chopped nuts into the rest of the crumble mixture and spoon over the fruit, pressing down gently. Bake on the hot baking sheet for 35-45 mins (covering loosely with foil after 20 mins) until the cake is golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 mins, then remove by gently lifting the parchment. Serve warm or cold.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 510(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.