Costs: Cheap as chips
An ideal accompaniment to any meal, couscous is quick, easy to cook and delicious served hot or cold.
- 500g (18oz) couscous
- 6tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 900ml (1 1/2pt) hot vegetable stock
- 100g (4oz) unsalted mixed nuts, chopped
- 175g (6oz) dried fruit (eg sultanas and/or apricots, chopped)
- 4tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 4tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Place the couscous in a bowl, add half the olive oil and lemon juice, and stir so that all the grains are well coated.
- Season the hot stock and pour 800ml of it over the couscous.
- Cover and set aside for 10 mins until the liquid is absorbed.
- Uncover and fluff the couscous with a fork, stirring in the remaining hot stock if it looks a little dry.
- Toast the nuts in a heavy-based frying pan over a low heat for about 5 mins, until golden. Remove from heat and stir into the couscous, along with the remaining oil, fruit and herbs.