Pumpkin pecan muffins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Canned pumpkin puree makes these muffins healthier, not only from the nutritious pumpkin itself, but because using it allows for less oil than called for in most muffin recipes
- 1 egg
- 175ml semi-skimmed milk or unsweetened soya milk
- 100g canned pumpkin puree
- 55ml olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 220g plain flour
- 75g sugar
- 75g chopped pecans
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch ground cloves
- dash grated nutmeg
If you can't find pumpkin puree, cook 100g of fresh pumpkin on the stove with a bit of water until the mixture is quite pulpy
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Line muffin tin with paper muffin cups
- Beat egg in medium-sized bowl, then add milk, oil, pumpkin, and vanilla. Stir thoroughly until mixture is smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together all remaining dry ingredients.
- Add all of the wet mixture to the large bowl of dry ingredients. Fold together gently until the flour mixture is just moistened, ensuring you do not over-mix (over-mixing will cause the muffins to not rise properly). The batter will be lumpy, not smooth.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling nearly to the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean at the centre of a muffin.