Pumpkin, mushroom and pea risotto
Serves: 2 to 4
Skill level: Easy peasy
This pumpkin, mushroom and pea risotto recipe is a perfect mid-week meal when the cupboards are looking a little bare and you have veggies left over from the weekend. The pumpkin gives fantastic colour and flavour, making the risotto a really filling family meal. You can substitute in other frozen green veg instead of peas, such as frozen spinach for a great vitamin boost. Healthy pumpkin, mushroom and pea risotto is not covered with cheese and cream, yet the pumpkin purée gives it a silky, creamy texture
- 520ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Half a red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 125g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 175g Arborio rice
- 200g canned pumpkin puree
- 120g frozen peas
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the stock in a saucepan, bringing it to a simmer and then keeping it covered on low heat.
- Place the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a large pan and sweat on medium-low heat. Once onions are soft and translucent, add the mushrooms and increase the heat to medium.
- Once mushrooms are browned, stir in the rice, coating it thoroughly with the mixture. Add one-third of the heated stock, along with the pumpkin purée. Stir continuously until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Add another third of the stock. Stir, and after the liquid has been absorbed, add the remaining stock along with the peas, nutmeg, and salt and pepper.
- Once nearly all the liquid is absorbed, test rice to ensure it is cooked al dente. If the rice needs to cook more but you've used all the stock, simply add a bit of hot water to the mixture and continue to cook over medium heat. Once the rice has absorbed the water, test again.
- Serve immediately, with grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano, if desired.