Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This easy Gazpacho recipe is a classic. There is nothing more refreshing on a scorching hot summers day than a bowl or glass of this refreshing chilled soup. You will find this traditional Spanish soup served everywhere in Spain where it is made with fabulous sun-ripened vegetables. You can make this with fresh flavourful summer tomatoes if you like, but it is best to skin and de-seed them first, so we have made this soup with canned tomatoes. This chilled soup makes a great summer canapé served in tiny shot glasses too. This recipe serves 6 people and will take only 15 mins to make plus chilling time.
- 3x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, de seeded and roughly chopped
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 10 basil leaves
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
If liked, serve this with ice cubes to make it really chilled, and drizzle it with extra olive oil just before serving.
- Pour the cans of tomatoes into a liquidiser. Add the garlic, cucumber and pepper and blend until finely chopped. Add the oil, vinegar and herbs and blend again. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Chill until ready to serve, then pour into chilled glasses and serve with the trimmed spring onions.