Flower fairy cakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These couldn't be simpler and are a great idea for the kids to give Mum as a present. Look in cake decorating shops or good kitchenware stores for small flower-shaped cutters.
- 12 ready-made fairy cakes using our classic fairy cakes recipe here
- 50g (2oz) unsalted butter
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar, sifted
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- 1/2 500g pack Pastel Collection ready-to-roll icing
- 15ml (1tbsp) chocolate drops
Use white and yellow marzipan instead of the coloured fondant if preferred.
- Cut the tops off each of the fairy cakes to level the surface. Beat the butter until smooth, then gradually beat in the icing sugar and vanilla essence. Spread the butter icing on the top of each fairy cake.
- Roll out the pastel-coloured icings on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar. Using medium and small flower-shaped cutters, cut out about 18 small flowers and 12 medium flowers.
- Place either three small fondant flowers or two medium flowers together on top of the buttercream, pressing down gently. Place a single chocolate drop in the centre of each of the small flowers and three drops in the centre of the larger flowers. Serve on day of making or store in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 240(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.