Healthy bubble and squeak
Healthy bubble and squeak is a really nutritious, yummy dish for babies and toddlers as well as for adults as it packs in plenty of veggies and is lovely and soft for small mouths. This version relies on baking rather than frying the delicious patties too, so is lower in calories than the typical bubble and squeak recipes making it perfect if you're trying to be a bit healthier but don't want to have to make two meals for you and your family. This recipe calls for boiling the potatoes as well as the vegetables but if you have leftovers then you can easily make this healthy bubble and squeak from mashed potatoes and roasted veg from your previous night's dinner. If you like fragrant flavours then feel free to add herbs like thyme, rosemary and parsley for a lovely fresh flavour. And if you fancy making more of a meal out of your healthy bubble and squeak then you could serve these little patties up with poached egg, baked salmon or grilled chicken.
- Butter for greasing
- 200g/7oz potatoes, peeled
- 125g/4 1/2oz carrots
- 125g/4 1/2oz parsnip, peeled
- 150g/5 1/2oz squash, peeled and deseeded
- 75g/2 1/2oz spring greens or dark green cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Add a little chilli or paprika if you prefer your healthy bubble and squeak a little spicier!
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7. Grease a small roasting tin or ovenproof gratin dish measuring 25 x 35cm (10 x 14 inches).
- Cut the potatoes, carrots, parsnips and squash into even-sized pieces and steam or boil until soft but not mushy. Drain and dry well. Steam or boil the cabbage.
- Put the root vegetables in a large bowl and pound with a potato masher. Add the cabbage, the olive oil and a sprinkling of black pepper. Shape your healthy bubble and squeak mixture into small fritters and pop into your greased baking tray or gratin dish and bake on the top shelf of the oven for 20/30 minutes, until they're crispy on top.