Shallot and sprout bubble and squeak cakes
Costs: Cheap as chips
This version of a classic recipe is bound to be one your family will want time and time again.
- 500g cold mashed potato
- 150g peeled sprouts, shredded
- 150g shallots, peeled and diced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 75g butter
- Nutmeg to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- Flour for making patties
- Melt the butter in a frying pan with half a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the shallots, and fry gently till golden brown but not crisp.
- Toss in the sprouts and stir fry with the shallots until just softened.
- Mix in a bowl with the mashed potato.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Allow to cool.
- Divide the mixture into four patties using plain flour on your hands to help shape the mixture.
- Fry the patties in olive oil and a little butter until golden brown on both sides. This takes 5-6 minutes.