Cooking time:(may need an extra 3 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You'll love these delicious ginger snaps and they'll go perfectly with your afternoon cuppa. And if you're feeling adventurous, why not make them into ginger creams?
- Unsalted butter 75g (3oz)
- Soft dark brown sugar 75g (3oz)
- Clear honey 75g (3oz)
- Black treacle 50g (2oz)
- Self-raising flour 225g (8oz)
- Bicarbonate of soda 1 tsp
- Ground ginger 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
- Crystallised stem ginger 50g (2oz), roughly chopped
Turn these ginger snaps into ginger creams with some buttercream icing sandwiched between two biscuits
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/ gas 4. Using non-stick baking foil, line 2-3 large baking trays. Place butter, sugar, honey and treacle into a large saucepan and stir over a moderate heat until melted and smooth.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into saucepan, add chopped ginger, mix well and then allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Using a teaspoon, take a slightly rounded spoonful of biscuit mixture, roll it into a smooth ball and place it on a baking tray.
- Repeat, spacing balls well apart, until mixture is used up (can be baked in several batches). Bake biscuits for 12-15 minutes until browned.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool a little before transferring onto wire racks to cool completely. Store your ginger snaps in an airtight container.