If you're sick of turkey year after year, why not try something different this Christmas and go for this delicious duck recipe.
- Orange 1 large, finely pared rind shredded and orange cut in half
- Large duck approx. 3kg (6lb), washed and dried
- Vegetable oil for preparation
- Cranberry sauce 200ml (7fl oz)
- Dessert apple 1 large, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- Plain flour 1tbsp
- Red wine 200ml (7fl oz)
- Chicken or duck stock 300ml (1/2 pint)
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Put half of orange inside duck and squeeze juice from other half. Using a fork, prick duck all over. Place on a rack in a roasting tin and smear lightly with oil. Add salt and roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and continue cooking for 1 to 11/2 hours, or until duck is well cooked (insert a skewer into thigh, juices should run clear, with no traces of blood).Transfer duck onto a dish, keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put cranberry sauce into a pan, add orange juice and apple wedges and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook gently until apple is softened, but not broken up. Keep warm or serve cold.
- Skim off fat from roasting juices. Put 2 to 3 tbsp of fat into a pan and add flour. Strain juices into pan then add wine and stock, bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, pour into a sauceboat.