Prep time:plus 45 mins
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Pizza dough the classic Italian way is so easy to make and you'll end up with the tastiest of pizza bases. Watch our video guide to fnd out just how simple it is and you'lll never go back to buying ready-made bases, or even ready-made pizzas for that matter! The kids will love getting involved making the dough and well as adding their favourite toppings and plenty of cheese too. This recipe is much healthier than shop-bought or takeaway. The dough is made from bread flour, yeast and a pinch of salt. This recipe is a real family favourite. Once you've perfected this pizza base recipe you'll never look at the readymade ones in the same way again. Leftover dough can be frozen and thawed before rolling out and using again to make pizzas. This recipe also shows you how to top your pizza dough too from tomato sauce to cheese.
- 500g strong white bread flour or 00 Italian flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2tsp fast action yeast
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 300ml tepid water
- 1 tbsp cherry tomato pasta sauce
- ½ ball mozzarella, torn
- 4 artichokes, in oil
- Handful sunblushed tomatoes
- 3 slices Parma ham
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- In a food processor, whiz together flour, yeast, olive oil, salt and water, until just combined.
- Knead the dough on a floured worktop for 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with a sheet of oiled cling film and set aside until doubled in size (this will take around 45 minutes).
- Heat oven to 230C,gas 8. Divide the dough into 4. Flour your work surface and using a rolling pin and your hands, roll a piece of dough into a circle. (The bigger you go the thinner your crust).
- Transfer each pizza base to a floured baking sheet.
- Spread with 1tbsp tomato sauce and your chosen toppings. Bake for 10 minutes.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.