Skill level: Easy peasy
This classic Eton mess recipe is so simple. Eton mess is one of the easiest desserts to rustle up, made with broken meringues, strawberries and cream – the best bits of summer combined into one tasty pud! You'll want to make our strawberry Eton mess recipe over and over again - it really couldn't be easier. This Eton mess recipe takes a total of 10 minutes to make, which means it's great for when you're having friends over, as you won’t have to spend long in the kitchen to make it. It gets its name as it is the dessert traditionally served at Eton College's prize-giving picnic on June 4th. To make this pud super speedy, we’ve used ready-made meringues. If you fancy a challenge and have a bit more time, you can make your own meringues from scratch! This Eton mess recipe makes 6 portions and shouldn't break the bank to make either. If you want to add more fruit to the mix, go for it – so you’re upping your 5-a-day intake in a really sweet way! We'd recommend raspberries, blackberries or blueberries, as they’re not overly sweet and won’t make the dessert sickly. A drizzle of port, kirsch or Cointreau will turn this summer dessert into an adult-only version. We guarantee it will be everyone's favourite pudding!
You could try using different berries like raspberries, blueberries or a combination of fruits
- 6 ready-made meringues
- 570ml double cream (or use half Greek yogurt for a healthier version)
- 450g strawberries, washed and hulled
- 75 ml port, kirsch or Cointreau (optional, for a more grown-up version)
- Cut the strawberries in half or into thick slices if they're big. Place in a bowl with the port, kirsch or Cointreau if using, cover and chill for 2-3 hrs.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, then fold in the berries and juices.
- Crush the meringues and fold into the strawberry and cream mixture.
- Spoon the Eton mess into individual dishes. If you like, you can decorate with extra strawberries.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.