Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This classic tomato soup recipe is the perfect recipe to whip up on a cold winter's evening, for a starter at a dinner party or special occasion. This delicious tomato soup would also be ideal if you maybe just fancy a lighter dinner than usual but still want lots of nutrients. Packed with fresh tomatoes, this soup is great way to make sure you're getting your 5-a-day. Not only is this tomato soup recipe a quick soup recipe, it's healthy and filling too. The kids are guaranteed to love it too - who doesn't like a classic tomato soup? This healthy tomato soup is so easy to make that we dare say you'll never buy tinned tomato soup again. Unlike canned tomato soup, you know exactly what you're putting in to your soup, so it makes it a much healthier option. Top off with a dollop of creme fraiche, a sprinkle of black pepper and some garnish if you have any to hand. Serve with a chunk of warm fresh bread, to make it a more filling meal or just have it on its own.
Store leftover soup in a Tupperware in the fridge for up to 3 days or you could freeze and keep for up to 1 month.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 450g fresh ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, carrot and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 mins until soft.
- Score the bottom of the tomatoes with a sharp knife and place in boiling water for 2 mins.
- Transfer to a bowl of cold water and then remove the skins.
- Chop tomatoes and push through a sieve into the pan, to remove the pips.
- Add the sugar, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. Liquidise until smooth.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.