Cheese, onion and parsley soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
In this French-inspired recipe, creamy Camembert and double cream are a delicious combination with onions and parsley in this rich, filling soup.
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g (4oz) onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 1.1 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 225g (8oz) camembert cheese, rind removed and roughly chopped
- 4tbsp double cream
- 20g (ľoz) flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley for garnish
- French bread croutons
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook for 20 mins, stirring to prevent burning. The onions should be soft and lightly browned.
- Add the stock and simmer for 15 mins. Stir in the camembert, cream and parsley and stir over the heat until the cheese has melted.
- Pour half the soup into a liquidiser or hand blender and liquidise until smooth. Pour back into the pan with the rest of the soup, mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with French bread croutons and a sprinkling of extra parsley.