This recipe with the subtle taste of asparagus paired with ham and creamy cheese makes a great side dish to a main meal. Try serving it with roasted salmon and new potatoes for a dinner party to remember.
- 3tbsp sunflower oil2 onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2tsp caster sugar
- 200ml (7fl oz) single cream
- 1 x 250g camembert, rind removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2tsp grated nutmeg
- 400g (14oz) asparagus, woody ends cut off
- 4 slices ham
- Salt and pepper
- Roasted salmon and new potatoes
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, sugar and a couple of pinches of salt and fry slowly for 40-45 mins. Stir every now and then to prevent the onions from burning. The onions should be very soft and a deep golden brown.
- 2 .Gently heat the cream in a saucepan and stir in the camembert. Add the nutmeg and heat until the cheese has dissolved. Season with a touch of salt and ground black pepper.
- Divide the asparagus into four and tie each bundle with a slice of ham. Place in a steamer and steam for 8-10 mins.
- Remove bundles to a serving plate and top each one with a spoonful of the caramelised onions. Pour over the melted camembert sauce.