Goat's cheese salad
This delicious salad is a modern version of the French classic warm goat's cheese salad.
- 1 bunch of fresh beetroot (about 4-5 beets)150g (5oz) mixed red and green salad leaves40g (1 1/2oz) roasted pine nuts
- 4 x 100g slices goat's cheese log
- Olive oil
- A small handful of chives
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2tbsp wine vinegar
- 5-6tbsp light olive oil or a mixture of sunflower oil and extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices grilled walnut bread
to give the bread an attractive chargrilled look, drizzle it lightly with olive oil and toast it on a very hot ridged grill or an electric contact grill.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Trim and wash the beets under running water and dry with a paper towel. Lightly oil a large piece of foil and place on a baking tray. Place the beets in the middle and scrunch the edges of the foil together to make a loose tent, place in the oven and cook for about an hour or until tender.
- Allow to cool then peel off the skin and quarter.
- Pre heat the grill, place the slices of goat's log on lightly-oiled tin foil and grill until browned and starting to melt. At the same time grill the walnut bread both sides.
- Place a disc of goat's log on top of each piece of grilled bread. Arrange the salad leaves, beetroot, walnuts on plates, scatter with fine nuts. Place the bread and goat's log on top of the salad leaves, dress with vinaigrette and snipped chives.