Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Homemade hummus is a lot easier to make at home than you may think, especially with our quick and simple recipe. The traditional Middle Eastern dip (sometimes spelt houmous) has become a popular dip all over the world and is just as delicious with a little bread on its own as it is in a freshly prepared kebab or served with lamb. With a simple chickpea base, our hummus recipe is easy to whizz up in the comfort of your own kitchen. In just three simple steps, you can have a delicious homemade dip ready to be enjoyed with family, friends or just by yourself if youre feeling peckish! We recommend using canned chickpeas but you can also use dried ones, as long as you soak them in water overnight. Once you have the chickpeas out, all you need to do is combine all the ingredients in a food processor until you have a purée. The recommended amounts of garlic, lemon, cumin and paprika already give this quick and delicious homemade hummus plenty of flavour, but you can also adjust it to your liking just by adding more of any of the ingredients and make it more tailored to your taste. Enjoy!
Alternatively you could use dried chickpeas and soak them in water overnight. To get the same amount of houmous use 110g (4oz) of dried chickpeas as they will absorb the water.
- 200g (7oz) canned chickpeas
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 100ml (3 1/2fl oz) tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 4tbsp water
- 1tsp paprika
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse.
- Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini, and water in a food processor, and whiz to a purée (creamy and thick sauce consistency).
- Add more lemon juice, garlic, cumin or salt to taste. Turn out your hummus into a bowl, and make smooth with the back of a spoon.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.