Quick lemon meringue pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This quick lemon meringue pie is the perfect cheat's recipe that takes only 30 mins to prepare. This delicious sweet pie serves 6 people and is a speedy option when it comes to making a classic spring dessert. This recipe uses only 4 ingredients; readymade shortcrust pastry, lemon curd, eggs and sugar to make the meringue - it's so simple. This easy lemon meringue pie is a real family favourite and perfect for serving up with fresh cream after a hearty Sunday roast. This pie is best made and eaten on the same day but if you have any leftovers, pop into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- 1 packet of ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 8 tbsp of lemon curd, from a jar
For the meringue:
- 6 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
For an extra cheat, bake the pastry case and filling for 45 mins and then crumble 4 ready made meringue nests on top of the lemon curd.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas 5 and grease a 22cm tin.
- Roll out the pastry to generously fit the tin. Line the tin with the pastry.
- Spoon the lemon curd into the pastry lined tin and spread evenly to the edges.
- For the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they form stiff peaks (this means you can hold the bowl upside down above your head and it will not fall out). Whisk in the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time.
- Spoon the meringue mixture on top of the lemon curd.
- Bake the pie for about 45 minutes until the meringue is crisp on the outside and soft and marshmallow-like underneath.
- Serve warm or cold in slices.