Prep time:(plus 3-4 hours chilling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make this as one big trifle or individual versions. For the kids, swap the whisky and almonds for orange juice and chocolate buttons.
IngredientsFor the base:
- 8 trifle sponges
- 4tbsp raspberry jam
- 6tbsp whisky
- 350g (12oz) raspberries
For the custard:
- 550ml (1 pint) milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 egg yolks
- 1tbsp caster sugar, plus a little for sprinkling
- 1½ tbsp cornflour
For the topping:
- Whipped cream
- 50g (2oz) almonds
- Glace cherries to decorate
- Split each sponge in half and spread with a thin layer of raspberry jam.
- Sandwich each half together and cut into quarters. Place in the bottom of a glass bowl. Sprinkle the whisky over the sponges and spoon over the raspberries and their juice.
- Chill for 3-4 hrs.
- Place the milk and vanilla pod in a small pan and slowly bring to a simmer. Transfer to a heatproof jug and leave to infuse for 10 mins. Remove the vanilla pod from the milk.
- Separate the eggs and put the yolks, corn flour and sugar in a bowl and whisk together. Whisk in the milk and the sieve into a saucepan.
- Cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until the custard starts to thicken, being careful not to allow to boil. Cook gently for 2 mins until the custard has a thick consistency.
- Pour the custard into a cold bowl to prevent further cooking and sprinkle the surface with a thin coating of caster sugar to prevent a skin forming. Allow to cool.
- Spoon the cold custard onto the raspberries in the bowl, spreading to the edges.
- Squirt the whipped cream on top of the custard and spread to the sides of the bowl.
- Decorate with the almonds and the cherries and serve.