Carrot and apricot loaf cake
The beauty of this carrot cake is that you can enjoy it with or without icing. The added apricots make this a really moist loaf cake
- 4 medium eggs
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 200g self-raising flour
- 300g carrots (3 or 4 carrots), grated
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 75g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 25g raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Take a 2lb loaf tin, and grease and base-line it with baking paper.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the sugar and whisk until thick and creamy, then gradually whisk in the sunflower oil. Sieve the flour into the whisked mixture and gently fold together. Add the rest of the ingredients and carefully mix everything together.
- Spoon mixture into the tin. Level the surface and bake for 45 to 50 mins, until firm to touch and golden brown (check after 35 mins and cover the top if it's getting too brown). If you wish, once cool, ice it with cream cheese mixed with a little icing sugar.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 335(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
- Sugars 18.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.