Simple to prepare, this savoury dish looks as good as it tastes
- 2tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 50g plain flour
- 400ml full-fat milk, warmed
- Pinch mustard powder
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 125g mature Cheddar, grated
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Grease a 20cm (1.5 litre) soufflé dish with butter and coat inside of dish with Parmesan. Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5. Put a baking sheet in to heat up.
- Melt butter over a low heat, add flour and stir to form a roux. Cook over a gentle heat for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and gradually add milk, stirring. Return to a low heat and bring to the boil, stirring well. Stir for 1 minute until you have a smooth thick sauce.
- Remove from the heat and season with mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cool slightly, stir in cheese and beat in egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until they're stiff, then stir a spoonful into the cheese sauce to relax the mixture. Pour the sauce over the remaining egg whites and gently fold together.
- Pour into soufflé dish, place on the hot baking sheet, then bake for 30 to 35 minutes until well risen, golden and just firm to the touch. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 450(kcal)
- Fat 34.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.