Smoked sausage jambalaya
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Jamabalaya is a Creole one-pot rice dish usually made with meat, seafood and vegetables in a rich tomato sauce. This smoked sausage version is really tasty and only has 377 calories per portion.
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1 x 227g pack smoked pork sausage, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 225g (8oz) brown basmati rice
- 2tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper
For a vegetarian jambalaya, substitute vegetarian sausages or Quorn pieces for the pork sausage.
- Pre-heat a non-stick frying pan, add the onion and dry-fry until lightly browned. Add the garlic, celery, mustard seeds and sausage, then stir in the chilli, rice, stock powder and tomatoes.
- Add sufficient water to cover the rice, approximately 600ml (1pt), and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 mins until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 377(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.