A spicy paste adds a tasty flourish to this dish
- 4 mackerel, cleaned, headed and tails removed
- 25g butter, softened
- 1/2tsp cayenne
- 11/2tsp paprika
- 2tsp English Mustard
- 1tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 11/2tsp brown sugar
- New potatoes and veg, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/gas 6. Cut 3 or 4 diagonal slashes on one side of the mackerel. Put in an ovenproof dish in a single layer, cut side up.
- Mix the butter with the cayenne, paprika, mustard, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Spread a little in the cuts on the mackerel, and the rest inside the fish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until flesh in the cuts is opaque and firm. Serve with potatoes and veg.