Cream of tomato soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
It's not only Heinz who make a delicious cream of tomato soup you know! This simple cream of tomato soup recipe creates a classic, fresh, warming soup that's a big favourite with goodtoknow users. Sometimes fussy eaters can be difficult to please with soup, but this soup is perfect for picky children (or adults alike!) We recommend serving it as a an easy crowd-pleasing starter or just for yourself when you're having a night in on the sofa. Serve with garnish, a good sprinkle of ground black pepper and a crusty loaf of bread.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 25g butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 1kg tomatoes, chopped
- 2tsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 600ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 142ml tub double cream
- Basil leaves, to serve (optional)
Top tip: Make a double batch of tomato soup and freeze individual portions in freezer bags for up to 3 months. Defrost in the microwave for a quick, homemade tomato soup for lunch!
- Fry the onion in the butter for 10 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic and paprika and cook for 1 minute. Add the purée and continue for 2 mins more.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf and chicken or vegetable stock. Bring the soup to the boil then simmer for 20 mins.
- Remove the bay leaf. Blend the soup in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. Push through a sieve to remove any skin or seeds and return the liquid to the rinsed-out pan.
- Stir in two-thirds of the double cream and reheat the soup gently. Once it's hot, serve your tomato soup immediately in warmed bowls with a swirl of the remaining cream and a garnish of basil leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 280(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 14.0g
- Sugars 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.