Costs: Cheap as chips
If your salads lack flavour or your chips get a bit boring try this simple recipe to give your mayonnaise a kick
- 300ml (10 1/2floz) sunflower oil/olive oil, or a blend of the two
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1tsp English mustard powder
- 1tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- Thoroughly mash the garlic and a little salt into a paste.
- Pour the oils into a jug. Put the egg yolks in a small bowl with the mustard powder and a pinch of salt. Whisk well until thoroughly blended.
- Add half the oil drop by drop, to the egg mixture, whisking well after each addition.
- Beat in a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar, then dribble in oil, whisking constantly. Continue to alternate with a little lemon juice and vinegar.
- When all the oil has been incorporated, season. Add more lemon juice or vinegar if necessary.
- Add the garlic to the yolks, then continue as before, blending until the mayonnaise is thick. Cover and chill – it will keep for two days in the fridge. Delicious with thick-cut chips.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 110(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.