Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Splashing out
This classic cocktail was supposedly invented in the 1870s for a dinner given by Winston Churchill's mother Jennie. Made with whiskey and vermouth, the Manhattan is simple and chic.
- 11/2 oz blended whiskey
- 1/4 to 1/2 oz sweet vermouth
- Dash of angostura bitters
- Maraschino cherry (optional)
For an extra kick, add 1/4 to 1/2 oz of dry vermouth.
- Pour the whiskey, vermouth and angostura bitters into a cocktail shaker with some ice.
- Shake for a few seconds to allow the cocktail to mix and chill down.
- Strain your Manhattan into a chilled martini glass, or serve in a short glass on the rocks.
- Decorate with the cherry if desired.