Chocolate chestnut log
This chocolate roulade is similar to chocolate Swiss roll but more luxurious and chocolaty and the chestnut adds an extra kick. Perfect for Christmas or any time of the year!
- 150g (5oz) Belgian dark chocolate
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 125g (2 1/2oz) caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1tbsp cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 6tbsp chestnut purée
- 2tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 284ml (10 floz) whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/355°F/gas 4. Grease and line a 30 x 22cm swiss roll tin with parchment paper, so that the paper stands 4cm above the tin edge.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over hot water. Set aside to cool. Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl until pale and thick. Stir in chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the chocolate mixture with the cocoa, pour into tin and bake for 20 mins, until springy to touch.
- Dust a large sheet of greaseproof paper with caster sugar and turn the roulade out on to it. Peel away the paper, cover with a damp tea towel and leave roulade to cool.
- To make the filling, mix the chestnut purée with the icing sugar and spread over the roulade. Whip the cream to soft peaks and spread it over the purée. Roll up the roulade from one of the short ends. Dust with the icing sugar and cocoa powder before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 260(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.