Basic fairy cakes
Prep time:plus cooling time
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This basic fairy cakes recipe is ideal for beginners. It's a simple and easy recipe for fairy cakes that can be made and decorated with kids. This recipe makes 12 fairy cakes and will take around 35 mins to prepare, bake and decorate. These party favourites are great to make with the kids, because they're such an easy bake - they'll have so much fun! And the best thing about these fairy cakes is you can decorate them as creatively as you like. Once you've mastered this basic fairy cakes recipe you can try other variations including chocolate fairy cakes, strawberry or even red velvet.
- 100g (3½ oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 100g (3½ oz) soft margarine or butter, at room temperature
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1tbsp milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F, gas mark 4). Take a 12-cup bun tin and put paper cases in the cups. Sift together the self-raising flour and baking powder.
- Add the butter or margarine, sugar and eggs, and beat with an electric hand whisk for about 2 mins until well mixed. If the mixture is too stiff, add a little milk and mix again.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases to about half full. Bake for 15 -20 mins until risen and just firm.
- Cool slightly, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Ice and decorate the cakes - be as adventurous as you like!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 40(kcal)
- Fat 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.