Lower-fat spare ribs
Prep time:plus marinating time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Indulge in a tasty treat without piling on the pounds with these delicious, low-fat spare ribs. Or make a batch of them and serve at parties.
- 150ml tomato ketchup
- 3tbsp clear honey
- 1tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1kg (30oz) pack of pork ribs
- Mix the ketchup, honey, Chinese five-spice powder, ginger and garlic together in a shallow dish. Roll the ribs in the mixture to coat thoroughly, cover and marinate for at least 2 hrs.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F, gas mark 6). Place a wire rack over a roasting tin holding a little water. This will tenderise the meat and prevent the marinade burning on the tin. Lift the ribs from the marinade (reserve this for basting) and place on the wire rack.
- Roast for 10 mins, then brush with some of the reserved marinade.
- Cook for a further 10 mins, then turn the ribs over and baste them again.
- Cook for a final 10 mins until the ribs are sticky and slightly caremelised. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 325(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.