Key lime pie
Prep time:plus chilling time
This American classic originates from Florida Keys. It's a simple dish which can be made in advance and served at any time of the day.
- 150g (5oz) digestive biscuits
- 75g (1oz) butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 397g (14oz) can condensed Milk
- 100ml (3 1/2floz) freshly squeezed lime juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Lime zest and slices, to decorate
This recipe contains raw eggs and should be avoided by pregnant women and small children. For more information about this and eggs in general have a look at our Foods to avoid while pregnant article or How to choose and store eggs
- Put the biscuits in a bag and roll firmly with a rolling pin. Melt the butter and mix with the biscuit crumbs. Put in a 19cm flat tin and press firmly against the sides and base with the back of a spoon to make a flan case.
- Put the egg yolks and condensed milk in a bowl and mix together, then add the lime juice and zest, and stir until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Turn into the flan case, level the top and chill for 2 hrs until the filling sets. Dust with icing sugar. Decorate with grated lime zest and thin lime slices.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 465(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.