Lemon butterfly fairy cakes
Total time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Kids will love helping to make these party favourites, butterfly fairy cakes. Just cut the centre out of the fairy cake to create the butterfly wings. This recipe is so simple you could get the kids to help you make them too. The delicious, zesty lemon sponge and the light and creamy mascarpone filling work wonders together. This recipe makes 18 fairy cakes and will take around 45 mins to make and bake.
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 250g (9oz) tub mascarpone
- 2tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 6tbsp lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F, gas mark 4). Line 2 bun tins with 18 paper cases. Beat the butter, eggs, flour and sugar together using a wooden spoon or electric hand whisk, until the mixture is light, fluffy and drops off the spoon or mixer easily. Fold in the lemon zest.
- Divide mixture between the paper cases. Bake for 20 mins until cakes have risen and are golden. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- 3 When the cakes are cold, cut off tops and set aside. Beat together the mascarpone and 2tbsp of icing sugar. Put a teaspoon of the filling, plus a teaspoon of lemon curd, on each cake. Cut the tops in half and stick into the mixture. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 240(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.