Bacon and sweetcorn chowder
Skill level: Easy peasy
This thick and chunky bacon and sweetcorn soup has a lovely smoky flavour to it and will satisfy hungry mouths.
- 250g (9oz) unsmoked bacon chops, trimmed of all fat and cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 375g (13oz) potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 800ml (28 floz) hot chicken stock
- 326g (11 1/2oz) tinned sweetcorn, drained
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a saucepan and cook the bacon for 4 mins, remove and set aside. Add another tbsp of oil, add the onion and cook until soft. Add the potato and stock.
- Cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Remove half the mix and set aside with the bacon. Purée rest of the potato and onion with the stock and half the sweetcorn in a processor. Season with pepper and return to the pan, add the bacon mix and sweetcorn, heat through and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 300(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.