Winter vegetable mash
This vegetable mash is a great combination of potatoes, leeks, onions and parsnips, all mixed together to create a creamy and cheesy delight. It can all be ready in a mere 25 mins, but if you're really short of time, speed things up a bit by using ready prepared mashed potato.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli finely chopped, seeds removed
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks, sliced into rings
- 350g/12 oz potatoes (you can use Saxon, Nadine, or Estima varieties), peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 60g/2oz mature cheddar, grated
- 60g/2oz light cream cheese
If you are really short of time, use ready prepared mash potato.
- Heat oil in saucepan, gently cook the onion, garlic, chilli, parsnips and leeks with a few tbsps of water and the lid on for 5 mins. Add enough boiling water from the kettle to just cover and simmer gently for 15 mins or until the veg are tender.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes for 10 mins or until tender; drain then mash with milk, mustard, cream cheese, 3/4 of the cheddar cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the vegetables well, stir into the mashed potato and serve sprinkled with the remaining cheese. Great served with ham or roast beef.