Roasted tomato and bean salad
Costs: Cheap as chips
Forget dull limp lettuce leaves, this punchy, colourful warm salad is full of Mediterranean flavours.. roasted tomatoes, garlic, herbs and creamy butter beans complemented with a delicious honey apple cider vinaigrette.
- 250g (9oz) French green beans, trimmed
- 350g (12oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g (14oz) can butter beans, without salt or sugar added, drained and rinsed
- 3tbsp honey apple cider vinegar
- 2tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 20g (3/4oz) parmesan cheese shavings
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Blanch the green beans in a pan of boiling water for 3-4 mins until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Place the cherry tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2tbsp olive oil and roast for 10-15 mins until soft. Remove from the oven.
- Place the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 1 min then tip in the butter beans, green beans and honey apple cider vinegar. Simmer gently for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and toss in the tomatoes and chopped basil.
- Spoon the salad onto a warm platter and scatter over the parmesan. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.