Spiced lamb crumble
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Try this delicious main-course dish made with spicy lean minced lamb, courgettes, aubergine and canned chick peas with a tasty Cheshire cheese crumble topping.
- 500g (1lb) (2oz) lean minced lamb1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium aubergine, thinly sliced
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 1tsp chopped fresh red chilli or 1/2 tsp medium chilli powder
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 125ml (4floz) red wine or water
- 1 medium courgette, grated
- 50g (2oz) sultanas
- 410g can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 100g (4oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 75g (3oz) Cheshire cheese, finely crumbled
Top tipsYou could use 1tbsp medium curry powder instead of the cumin, ginger and chilli. Replace the aubergine with thickly sliced mushrooms, if you prefer - there is no need to grill them.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Heat a large saucepan and add the lamb, searing it over a high heat until browned. Add the onion and garlic, reduce the heat and cook for about 5 mins, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, char-grill or grill the slices of aubergine for about 2 mins on each side to soften them. Stir the spices and herbs, tomato puree and red wine or water into the lamb mixture and simmer for 5 mins. Add the courgette, sultanas and chick peas, then remove from the heat. Season with black pepper.
- Spoon half the mixture into a deep baking dish. Layer the aubergine on top, then add the remaining mince mixture, leveling the surface. Cool for a few mins whilst preparing the topping.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the crumbled Cheshire cheese.
- Sprinkle over the mince mixture and bake for 30-35 mins.