Onion and Cheshire cheese tart
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Try this classic cheese and onion tart for a satisfying and tasty main meal.
- 225g (8oz) ready rolled puff pastry thawed
- A little beaten egg, to glaze
- 700g (1lb) onions sliced
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 175g (6oz) Cheshire Cheese
- 175g (6oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/gas 7.
- Unroll the pastry and place on a baking sheet. With the tip of a sharp knife, gently score round inside the edge to make a border of 1.25cm/1/2" all round. Brush the border with egg glaze. Cook for 10 mins and remove from the oven, then reduce the oven temperature to 200ºC.
- Leave to cool slightly. Meanwhile heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and cook over a medium high heat for 15 mins, stirring until softened and golden in colour. Season the onions. Remove the spikes of rosemary from their stalks and chop finely, and add to the onions.
- Gently push down the centre of the pastry with your hands and spoon the onion mixture over the top, within the border. Add the crumbled Cheshire Cheese and cherry tomatoes, forking them into the onions.
- Cook the assembled tart for 10-15 mins with the oven at 200ºC until the cheese is golden and melted